Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pilonidal cyst and treatment options

Pilonidal cyst and treatment options

Patient: I think i have got a pilonidal cyst, my pilonidal cyst is quite small and does not even hurt, but it does give out puss and some blood, but whatever i do it does not hurt. i clean in that area as well, what shall i do now.

Doctor: A pilonidal cyst is a cyst which usually contains hair follicles and sebum and develops in the sacral area near the tail bone.Symptoms may range from a simple non painfull bump to a red painfull cyst which secretes pus and /or blood. Since in your case even though it is not painfull it is secreting out pus and blood and thus is considered infected/an abcess. This if ignored can lead to worsening of the infection and spread of the same. Thus you need to see yur family physician who will drain the cyst and pack it with protective gauze, You may or may not require topical or oral antibiotics depending on the extent of the infection. Ensure to follow up to see how the cyst is healing. All the best.