Pimple on areola - symptom of breast cancer?

Patient

Q: I am 47 years old and in the beginning of menopause. My periods have suddenly become irregular and I'm having night sweats. Yesterday, I noticed a whitehead-type pimple on my arreola. Could it be a blocked milk duct? What would cause this? Is this a symptom of breast cancer?

Doctor

A:   It could be a blocked duct or may be due to a condition called mammary duct ectasia, that occurs in women nearing menopause. Other possible reasons for blocked duct are ill-fitting nursing bra, viral ailments like cold, stress or  no reason at all. Mammary duct ectasia may be painful, if the ducts beneath the nipple become inflamed and blocked, and produce a thick and sticky discharge. You should see your doctor if the you notice any pain or discharge from the nipple for treatment with antibiotics and hot compress.

It could be a blocked duct or may be due to a condition called mammary duct ectasia, that occurs in women nearing menopause. Other possible reasons for blocked duct are ill-fitting nursing bra, viral ailments like cold, stress or  no reason at all. Mammary duct ectasia may be painful, if the ducts beneath the nipple become inflamed and blocked, and produce a thick and sticky discharge. You should see your doctor if the you notice any pain or discharge from the nipple for treatment with antibiotics and hot compress.