Pimples on perineum

Q: I got tested at the gum clinic a few months ago as I had noticed spots on my perineum and near anus I tested clear for everything but they said it could be sebaceous cysts. They are like spots or acne! There is no pain or itching but I've had them about 6 months and they won't go away! If I bust them they bleed but still don't go away! What could it be and how can I make it go away?

A:   Thank you for your question. It is likely that these recurrent lesions are sebaceous cyts, or pustules. The area of the anus is very prone to the development of these given the moist, warm nature of this area, and exposure to bacteria from defecation. To treat these you will likely need to first have them reexamined by a doctor and start a course of antibiotics along with topical coriticosteroid cream to treat the swelling and inflammation. If left untreated, these can become infected and painfully inflamed, and possibly form abscesses. Once treated, you should make a full recovery. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com