Pinched nerve treatment with valtrex

Patient

Q: Hi - i am being treated with valtrex for newve pain in my elbow - diagnosed as anterior interosseous newve syndrom ... is this treatment targeting a particular virus or just the nerve endings. Should i expose myself to young grandson while on medication. Thank you

Doctor

A:   Valtrex is a medication which is used typically to treat herpes infections. It primarily acts at the viral cellular level and thus treats in this manner. However it can be useful for nerve pain and there is no harm in exposing your self to you grandson during this time period. All the best