Pink blood color - Is this due to anemia?

Patient

Q: My mom cut herself the other day and her blood was pink. It never turned red. I was thinking she might be anemic. Any idea ehat might cause this? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Visual interpretation of the color of blood may differ from individual to individual. What may be pink to someone may be red to the other. The only definite way to rule out an underlying pathology or the possibility that you mother may be anemic, is to do a complete blood count which includes tests for RBCs, WBCs, hemoglobin and hematocrit.