Plan B and Birth Control Mix

Patient

Q: I'm on birth control and have been on it for two years. During the week where you are suppose to take the "placebo pill" and get your period (which I simply don't take because it's just sugar) my boyfriend and I were having intercourse and we realized the condom broke after he ejaculated.

Since I'm on birth control and I'm suppose to get my period in a few days, should we invest in Plan B?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
If you have taken the birth control pill regularly during the month without missing any pill and have only not taken the placebo pill (or more popularly known as reminder pill) then the chances of conception from intercourse in the rest period are almost remote. Probably you don’t have to worry. This is because birth control pills when taken regularly provide contraception up to 99%. If you want to be doubly sure that you don’t want to conceive or have missed pills during the (21 days )active pill course only then opt for plan B.
Hope that answers your query.
Have a good day.