Plan B, Period or Implantation Bleeding?

Patient

Q: I took plan b an hour after sex (9 days ago), and now I believe I have my period. But I'm worried it could be implantation spotting? It has lasted for two days now, its definitely blood red and it seems simply like a light period. I have my usual level of heavy cramping as well. A pregnancy test turned up negative this morning, but I'm worried it's too soon for it to tell. Could this light "period" be caused by plan b? This is the usual time in my cycle for my period to occur.

Symptoms:  Vaginal bleeding, cramps
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Thanks the query.
The possibility of pregnancy is less in your case as you took emergency pill within one hour of intercourse.
Emergency pill can lead to withdrawal bleeding after one week to ten days of intake.
Withdrawal bleeding can be lighter compared with regular menstrual flow, that could be the possible cause for your lighter period.
If you want to be sure, please repeat urine pregnancy test after one week.
Take care.