Plantar Fasciitis in a Lacrosse player

Q: I have a lacrosse game on Monday. My podiatrist suggested sitting out, and even quitting the team for the season. I really want to play and have no interest in quitting. Would it be bad to just play with the pain?

A:   Yes, it would be taking the risk of getting sustained damage due to overuse of the plantar fascia. I strongly recommend that you get into a rehab program to control pain and inflammation until you heal. Plantar Fasciitis is produced by inflammation of the insertion on the heel of the plantar fascia (a fibrous layer that supports the plantar arch muscles and ligaments), causing remarkable heel pain that alters your normal daily activities. It is the most common cause of heel pain in US. It can be associate or not with a “heel spur”. Initially the pain tends to decrease with walking but gets worse throughout the day as activity increases. The pain worsens by walking barefoot on hard surfaces or walking up stairs.
The causes of Plantar Fasciitis are: aging, heel fat pad thinning, too low-arched or too high arched foot, weakness of the calf muscles, leg-length discrepancy, walking or running with inappropriate shoe type on poor cushioned surfaces, a change in the walking or running routine.
The suggested strategy to treat conservatively plantar fasciitis would be: physical therapy aimed to stretch the muscles of the calf and foot, using ice packs after the exercise routine to decrease inflammation and pain, relative rest (avoiding activities that reproduce the heel pain), use of anti inflammatory drugs (example: “Advil”) and replacement of worn-out shoes by adequately cushioned shoes.