Plantar Fasciitis: pain management

Patient

Q: I have Plantar Fasciitis and in the past have been given cortisone injections into my heels.I get almost immediate relief.However I cannot get an appointment for at least another week.What can do in the meantime to ease some of the pain?I am taking Arthritis Strength Tylenol.

Doctor

A:   Try to wear heel-cushioned footwear, avoid high heels, if you exercise do a warm up before with an adequate stretch, avoid putting excessive strain on your feet and lose weight if you need it. You also may take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”) and see if they work relieving the pain. You could try applaying local ice in the heel for periods no more that 20 minutes several times a day.