Played baseball,injured shoulder

Patient

Q: So I pitched in baseball this year and my shoulder kind of hurt but not to bad, but then I played football and jammed it 2 times this year and now I can't even throw a football or baseball without a lot of pain. What is wrong with it and what should I do?

Symptoms:  Shoulder pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have injured the rotator cuff of your shoulder. The rotator cuff is a group of muscles that are responsible for the articulation of the shoulder joint. When any of these muscles are strained, or torn, this can result in pain in the shoulder along with decreased range of motion. Furthermore, there may also be associated ligaments within the rotator cuff which can be ruptured. This is a common sports injury especially in baseball and football.

The best course of action is to stop playing competitive sports and go to your doctor to have your shoulder assessed. You will need to have this shoulder physically examined and have diagnostic MRI performed to determine the cause the exact cause of the injury. Depending on the severity of this injury, you may need to refrain from playing sports for some time while it heals or in severe cases, surgery will be required. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com