Please explain Rhino-Virus 1 2 3 4

Patient

Q: I am trying to find out what a test result means my granddaughter had some tests done for RSV which cam up negative but was positive for the rhino-virus 1 2 3 4. My granddaughter was 5 months old when she was tested and passed away the day after these tests were done. I am trying to help my son and his wife find answers to what happened to their daughter. Can you please explain that the Rhino-virus 1 2 3 4 is" I know it is pretty much a cold but I don't understand the 1 2 3 4?

Please explain Rhino-Virus ...-1
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We are terribly sorry for the loss of your granddaughter. The Rhinovirus is a common causative agent of what we term the 'common cold'. It causes nasal congestion, runny nose, fever, headache, cough, and upper respiratory tract infection. There are several different species of rhinoviruses that can cause the common cold and the numbers '1,2,3, and 4' are referring to different types of this virus detected by this particular laboratory results.
You have not described what was your granddaughter's illness prior to her passing, nor if there were any other complications, so it would be difficult to advise you any further. One possibility, is that her death may have been done to the effect on her breathing this infection may have cause. Such infections can become so severe, that the small airways of an infant can rapidly become obstructed, leading to respiratory distress and subsequent death if not immediately treated. We recommend that your family follows up with her doctor and obtain her medical record in order to determine what actually happened. Our deepest sympathies.

Thank your for consulting AskTheDoctor.com