Please help me get healthy

Patient

Q: Hello, I don't know if you answer these types of questions or not... But I'm 17 and I've had an extremely unhealthy relationship with food for the last few years, and its really gotten bad recently. Ill do so well eating healthy and exercising, and then ill go on crazy binges and lay around for a few days hating myself. In the past few weeks I've started forcing myself to throw up if I eat junk food, because I get so fed up with the guilt of it being inside me. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I know that I stress eat, and I know that's probably a big part of that. I'm currently taking St. John's Wart for my depression, and its been helping, but I still have terrible and frequent relapses. I can't handle this anymore, it's all I think about. Please give me advice on what to do, and how to keep myself consistently healthy. I'm 5'7 and my weight fluctuates between 170-190 pounds.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. A great way to stay disciplined in any diet and weight loss plan is to seek the support of to those in the same position as you. Once you realize that this is something that many people struggle with, you will be more inclined to communicate your insecurities and feelings and seek the support of others, just as you have with sending your concerns to askthedoctor.com.
We also would like to let you know that it is completely fine to have the foods you most enjoy, but this must be strictly moderated. Try sticking to a clean, healthy balanced diet for about eighty percent of your week, and for the next twenty percent, you can indulge as you like. For example. If you have three meals a day, seven days a week, then you can choose 4 meals out of the week and have whatever food you like, in a respectable moderate portion. This will help you stick to your diet as well as help you enjoy the foods you like.
Lastly, since you have been struggling with depression, we recommend that you address this problem with your doctor or a therapist of your choice. It is possible that you may require a course of therapy, antidepressive medication, or both. This will also help you with your commitment to losing weight, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, without relapsing.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com