Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Please help me, it’s been going on for to long

Please help me, it’s been going on for to long

Patient: Hi I’m 24 weeks pregnant and I’ve been having dry mouth and a dry throat especially at night. Also, when I brush my teeth I still get a weird taste. I drink a lot of water through the day. What is causing it and how can I resolve it?

Symptoms: Dry mouth and dry throat and strange taste

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting asktehdoctor.comThe dryness of the mouth and throat is probably because of the proge sterone effect and a possible indequacy of hydration in the body. water intake should be a minimum of 12-14 glasses per day . Adequacy can be ascertained if the central portion of the tongue is seen to be moist and not dry.Also the most common cause of polydipsia is diabetes….In this context it is advised that you may meet your physician and get a oral glucose tolerance test with 75 gm glucose done to rule out gestational diabetes mellitus.I hope i have answered your query.wishing you safe pregnancy,regards