Please, need urgent!

Patient

Q: I am an asthmatic patient so I'm used to having chest pains and short breaths. Of late, I've been having severe chest pains, sharp pains actually that happens when I breathe in, or try to get up while lying down. I have no idea what might be wrong this time because I haven't been having any asthmatic symptoms.. I wanted to have a slight idea on what I might be in for should I go to the hospital..

Symptoms:  Shortness of breath, Chest pains.
Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
I have following diagnosis for you:
1. Muscular Pain with.
2. Cardiac Chest pain.
3. Acid reflux.
It is important to differentiate between the all as the treatment course is entirely different.
In asthmatic patients, excessive cough results in pain in chest muscles.The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature.
However, the Cardiac chest pain is severe and crushing in nature. It increases on activity like walking, exercising. It also radiated to left arm.
In such scenario, i would advise to get an ECG and Chest Xray done. This will give an idea that pain is cardiac in nature or not.
If the ECG and Chest Xray are normal, the pain is probably Muscular or due to Acid reflux.
For acid reflux, i would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once a day.
I advise following to my patients in case of Muscular pain:
1. To do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day.
2. To apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area.
3. To take anti inflammatory and analgesic pain killer like Ibuprofen , Etoricoxib.
On taking this treatment, this usually resolves in 5-7 days.
Share my opinion with your doctor. I am sure he/she will agree to this.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy