Pleural based soft tissue mass

Q: Hello, I am concerned about a CT scan report and wanted to ask if I should worry about a soft tissue mass. I had a abdominal and pelvic CT scan that came back clear however they found the following: "14mm pleural based soft tissue mass abutting the left lower lobe, differential diagnosis includes predominantly benign processes such as a benign mesenchymal tumor such as a neurofibroma or fibrous tumor of the pleura.". My doctor told me I should follow up CT scan in 3 months. Should I be concerned at this point and be more aggressive such a get a biopsy of the mass? I am a very healthy person, this has me worried sick.

A:   Your concern is understandable. However, you should note that the vast majority of these tumors are benign. Follow up CT scan in three months is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. If the repeat CT scan shows any changes suggesting a malignancy or should you develop symptoms attributable to the mass then biopsy and removal may be warranted.