Pms allergies?

Patient

Q: For the past three years I have started getting strange symptoms before my period. On one of my hands or the arch of one of my feet I get an intense deep itching sensation. Benedryl pills or anti itch creams have no effect. Within 2 hours my hand or foot swells up like a balloon. Right now I am typing left handed because my right hand is so swollen I cant bend my fingers. The itching woke me up at 3am and I applied an ice pack which seems to help numb the itch....my period started within the hour.. The swelling extends over my entire hand and halfway up my forearm. Once the swelling stops the itchiness goes away but the swelling can lasts anywhere from 4-12 hours and it feels like i have a fever where the swelling is. For a few days after the swelling is gone, the area aches like a deep bruise. I never get an actual skin rash but this same process usually happens at least once a month to one of my hands or one of my feet. On occasion I have gotten 2-3 episodes but luckily never at the same time. The ones i get on my feet make it incredibly painful to walk. I have been to my doctor and she seemed stumped other than suggesting it was somehow hormonal because it happens before my period.. I haven't changed any laundry detergents, lotions, soaps ect that point to a cause. I have reactive hypoglycemia and since 2009 I have followed an Atkins type diet to control my blood sugar so its highly unlikely its caused by gluten sensitivity. I am 39 and have a sedentary desk job but I exercise 3-4 times a week, 5'3" tall weighing 135 lbs and I take vitamin supplements. I have been very healthy, rarely get cold, and am not on any prescriptions. I have been searching for answers with no luck. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me? Please help, I'm tired of this.

Symptoms:  For the past three years I have started getting strange symptoms before my period. On one of my hands or the arch of one of my feet I get an intense deep itching sensation. Benedryl pills or anti itch creams have no effect. Within 2 hours my hand or foot swells up like a balloon. Right now I am typing left handed because my right hand is so swollen I cant bend my fingers. The itching woke me up at 3am and I applied an ice pack which seems to help numb the itch....my period started within the hour.. The swelling extends over my entire hand and halfway up my forearm. Once the swelling stops the itchiness goes away but the swelling can lasts anywhere from 4-12 hours and it feels like i have a fever where the swelling is. For a few days after the swelling is gone, the area aches like a deep bruise. I never get an actual skin rash but this same process usually happens at least once a month to one of my hands or one of my feet. On occasion I have gotten 2-3 episodes but luckily never at the same time. The ones i get on my feet make it incredibly painful to walk. I have been to my doctor and she seemed stumped other than suggesting it was somehow hormonal because it happens before my period.. I haven't changed any laundry detergents, lotions, soaps ect that point to a cause. I have reactive hypoglycemia and since 2009 I have followed an Atkins type diet to control my blood sugar so its highly unlikely its caused by gluten sensitivity. I am 39 and have a sedentary desk job but I exercise 3-4 times a week, 5'3" tall weighing 135 lbs and I take vitamin supplements. I have been very healthy, rarely get cold, and am not on any prescriptions. I have been searching for answers with no luck. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me? Please help, I'm tired of this.
Doctor

A:   The symptoms like swelling, itch, etc definitely point out that you are suffering from some kind of allergy. Mostly it is not associated with your hormonal changes or periods. Allergy work up must be done first.
Immunoglobulin levels especially A and E, will help to decide if its allergy or not. Other than these, your allergic attack is severe and at this age, it could point out that you might be even having low immunity, which aggravates trivial allergies too. A detailed workup of cause of allergy and few skin patch tests will be helpful. Consult a physiologist or hematologist for further followup. But remember, if allergic symptoms worse or if you have difficulty in breathing during the attack, rush to a nearby emergency.