PMS Musty odor in sweat

Patient

Q: Just before my period, I can smell a musty odor in my sweat. What is this? Is it my hormones that I smell?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Right before a female's menstrual period commences there are dramatic fluctuations in hormonal levels, specifically estrogen and progesterone. These fluctuations result in the typical symptoms experienced right before menstruation, such as abdominal cramping, irritability and emotionality, bloating, and headaches. Hormonal fluctuations can also cause differences in the amount one perspires and changes in body odour. We do do not think you should be alarmed by this as it is a natural part of your menstrual cycle.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com