Polycystic ovarian syndrome

Patient

Q: After more than a year of trying to fall pregnant, I saw an OB/GYN who diagnosed me with PCOS. He said in order to fall pregnant I should undergo laparoscopic ovarian drilling (LOD). The alternative of going on medication was not advised as it would make me sick. I had the surgery in Feb 2008 and fell pregnant naturally very soon after recovery. I now have a beautiful healthy 16m old girl. My periods returned when I stopped breastfeeding her at 10 months of age. I am trying for a second baby, but after a number of months trying to fall pregnant, and now using an OPK to predict ovulation, and without any luck, I am beginning to feel there is a deeper problem. Is it possible the LOD has damaged my ovaries to the point of not being able to fall pregnant naturally? Would medication work now to help ovulation? What are the chances of being able to have a second or third child now? Thank you in advance.

Doctor

A:   If your ovaries were significantly damaged from the LOD procedure you would not have gotten pregnant in the first instance. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is characterized by multiple cysts in each ovary along with infertility and excess male hormones. It is therefore not surprising that you are having difficulty conceiving a second child. Most likely you will need medications to induce ovulation so that you may have a second child.