Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Polyuria and polydipsi

Polyuria and polydipsi

Patient: I have been experiencing excessive thirst and passing urine frequently, also waking at night to drink. I also have abdominal pain which radiates to my back in the area of both kidneys. I am male age 26. These symptoms started about a week ago. I drink alcohol at times but not often excessively but I did a bit of binge drinking last weekend.

Doctor: Excessive thirst may be a symptom of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). My suggestion to you is to go see your family phy sician and get your blood sugar levels tested. It is also important to know wether you have a family history of diabetes.  If tests for Diabtes turn out negative, other things to consder would be excess water or caffine intake, urinary tract infections (including STD’s), kidney stones or adrenal problems.Please see your doctor as soon as possible.