Poor diet and refusal to take vitamin pills during pregnancy

Q: Dear Doctor,

I am not sure if this fits the scope of your website, but I really appreciate if I can get a medical advise on our issue.

My wife is pregnant with our first child. She is in her fifth month and so far everything is going well. The problem is that she refuse to take the supplementary vitamins prescribed by her doctor, and also she doesn't eat healthy. She says "The baby will get whatever it needs whether I eat healthy or not". Her diet consists of mainly junk food. I am able to convince her to eat 1 fruit every 2-3 days but I am not sure if this is enough or not. I wasn't able to convince her to eat vegetables.

In summary, my question is: Is this saying "The baby will get whatever it needs whether I eat healthy or not" correct from medical perspective? if not, what are the possible dangers the baby can face if she continued this way. I am attaching some results we got recently from the lab.

Poor diet and refusal to ta...-1 Poor diet and refusal to ta...-2 Poor diet and refusal to ta...-3

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

The fact that she doesn't need any vitamins is partially true but that she would eat junk food and empty calories and fats that is not propagated at all in practice. Idea is she should be on iron and calcium tablets daily from the onset of second trimester till birth and beyond, that is a must. The requirement of DHA, Magnesium, Zinc are to be met by exogenous sources of vegetables and cereals, which are not manufactured by the body and are definitely important constituents for foetal growth and future brain development especially DHA.

Junk foods are devoid of such minerals and hence your wife should be made to understand that eating healthy is important. She is partly right that the baby shall take what is present from the mother but that cannot last in mother for the whole 9 months and mother has to replenish her stores, hence calorie requirement is increased by 300 calories in each trimester along with increasing requirement of vitamins and minerals.

So she should cut down her junk foods and stick to healthy meals which are balanced and nutritious. Poor eating habits is reflected in low birth weight babies born who have poorer immunity and often growth restricted as well. So she to understand. However presently her blood, sugar and urine reports are normal.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing her safe pregnancy,