Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Poor management of diabetes and hyperglycemia

Poor management of diabetes and hyperglycemia

Patient: Why is it that after takeing Metformin 1000mgs and Glyburide 2.5 mgs in the morning and then Metformin 1000mgs at night my sugar levels through the day fall to between 87 – 179 but at night when I am sleeping it rises to 280 and above?

Doctor: Your diabetes is not being controlled optimally. While during the day is is staying normal or slightly above normal the at night you are experiening hyper glycemia ie increased glucose levels. The metformin dose may need to be increased however you are already on 2000 mg/day . You may need to start on another anti diabetic medication and/or insulin. Please consult a diabetes management health professional or your family physician asap for alteration and modification of the doses. All the best.