Popping back with deep breath after sternum crack

Patient

Q: One day I was wrestling with my " bigger" friend and we both jumped backwards and me in my back he came down full shoulder on my chest it happened twice and after the second time my sternum cracked multiple times and I could barely breathe for about a week and I never seek medical attention thinking it was okay but no (about a month later) my back will pop when I breathe deeply and my left foot gets really cold at times what should I do?

Symptoms:  Back popping from a deep breathe, and cold left foot
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have sustained a fracture of one or more of your ribs from wrestling. This would be supported by the pain and 'cracking/popping' sound in your chest on deep inspiration. It is very important that you have a thorough examination by your doctor along with x rays of your chest to determine of this is the case. Another possible cause of your pain and 'popping' sound could be due to dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint. This can occur from sudden trauma to the chest such as yours. It can also lead to difficulty breathing under deep inspiration. The treatment of either of these injuries will depend on their severity. Please follow up with your doctor for further examination to determine the cause of this and start treatment promptly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com