Patient : I have a history of miscarriage. I have had one healthy pregnancy and child who carried full term. I am approx. 19 weeks pregnant again and have been tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant. I have been directed to take 40mg Lovenox injections into my stomach until I am 36 weeks pregnant. I held out on this until I interviewed my docs and tried to make an informed decision before I had decided to proceed. I have now taken a total of 18 injections and my OB told me for the first time today that the Genetics doctor has actually said that I will be taking injections of Lovenox through 36weeks, then Heprin until I begin labor. At that point, they will be giving me some kind of drug to reverse the Heprin so that we can reduce the risk of me hemoraging. I will then take Lovenox for another 6weeks Post Partum before giving me the second blood test to even confirm the positive Lupus Anticoagulant reading.
My concerns are that I am not being informed properly on possible side effects, precautions, difficulties, etc...
I really tried to make an informed decision to begin with. I now feel like my original choice has put my own life at risk in order to do everything I can to have this baby (I have children already to take care of and was not desperate to have a child). I just want somebody to tell me the truth... even if it is that there is not yet enough research.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.