Positive Pregnancy in Blood Tests

Patient

Q: My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years now and we have had unprotected sex for 4 years. I do have irregular periods and I am on the birth control. However there were times I didn't take it like I was suppose to. Even with both the unprotected sex and not taking birth control, I haven't become pregnancy not even once. My question to you is there a possibility I can't get pregnant, or if I can what is the best way to try and conceive?

Symptoms:  For the past month I have had feelings of nausea, lots of fatigue, and abdominal cramps.
Doctor

A:  
Thank you for your question. We are sorry that you are having difficulties trying to conceive with your partner. Before making the conclusion that it is not possible for you to conceive, you will have to be assessed by a fertility specialist. There are a number of causes of infertility in women. We will describe a few of the most common causes to give you an idea of what could be happening.

There could be issues with ovulation which is the ability of your ovaries to release an egg every month. This can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome. Another common cause of infertility in women could be due to damage to the fallopian tubes. This could have been caused by a previous infection like pelvic inflammatory disease. Last but not least, there could be another issue with your ovaries, called premature ovarian failure.

We cannot rule out your partner as being a cause of your inability to conceive. About a third of all cases of infertility are due to males, so we recommend that he get checked out as well by a doctor. Some causes could be due to decreased sperm count, decreased sperm motility, or infertility due to chemical/environmental toxin exposure.

We recommend that you both consult a fertility specialist to illumine the cause of your difficulties with having a baby. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com