Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possibility of an STD or STI

Possibility of an STD or STI

Patient: I recently found vaginal sores (they scab over), and my boyfriend who I’m sexually active with just recently told me he cheated on me and it was unprotected. I’ve had multiple partners, I’m on the pill, and I recently have been really strong on use of condoms. I’m worried, underage and can’t go to a doctor with my guardians as I’m not supposed to have sex until marriage, and I would get kicked out if they were to know. They seem like open sores, and it started on the right side. Nothing like a blister, mostly broken skin. There is no itching, weak irritation. My discharge seems thicker and whiter, but no noticeable smell. No blood, but sometimes if a scab rubs off, there is a slight wet and clear liquid. It seemed okay, and I had sex, and then I guess it spread and got two more. One on the left side, and one near my anus. It’s broken skin, kind of stings when my underwear rubs on it. I’m worried, and I want to see a doctor, but I would like to discuss what it may be and what my options are.

Symptoms: Open sores, scabbing, clear liquid, thicker than normal discharge, spreading

Doctor: You need to properly educate yourself about STDs. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that you can get f rom having sex with someone who has the infection. The causes of STDs are bacteria, parasites and viruses. There are more than 30 types of STDs, includingChlamydiaGonorrheaGenital herpesHIV/AIDSHPVSyphilisTrichomoniasisMost STDs affect both men and women, but in many cases the health problems they cause can be more severe for women. If a pregnant woman has an STD, it can cause serious health problems for the baby.If you have an STD caused by bacteria or parasites, your health care provider can treat it with antibiotics or other medicines. If you have an STD caused by a virus, there is no cure. Sometimes medicines can keep the disease under control. Correct usage of latex condoms greatly reduces, but does not completely eliminate, the risk of catching or spreading STDs. Your condition is most likely an infection, and STDs are a possibility as you and your partner(s) have indulged in high risk behaviour.Please get in touch with your family physician and seek treatment. You may request the physician to have a confidential interview, if possible, and seek his cooperation to share the news with your guardian of any condition that possibly involves an STD, in case one is found.