Possible acute plantar fasciitis after playing basketball

Q: While playing basketball I planted on my right foot and noticed a burning feeling on my foot when I took my shoe off the tissue on the side of my foot right on the arch bone was a little swollen and hurt for a couple days. Felt fine a week later so I played again and same thing happens when I went to the doctors he said it was soft tissue strain but the arch bone hurts when pressing on it what could this be?

A:   The most common cause of foot pain is plantar fasciitis. It is usually caused by a biomechanical imbalance resulting in tension along the plantar fascia (arch). The diagnosis is typically based on the history and the finding of localized tenderness. Treatment consists of medial arch support, anti-inflammatory medications, ice massage and stretching. Corticosteroid injections and casting may also be tried. Surgical fasciotomy should be reserved for use in patients in whom conservative measures have failed despite correction of biomechanical abnormalities. Some useful measures following: placing a medial arch pad directly against the skin and taping the  foot from a plantar medial to a plantar lateral direction using 3-in wide tape. These temporary devices provide greater biomechanical support than over-the-counter heel cups or heel pads. Stretching the Achilles tendon facing a wall with one foot approximately 6 in from the wall and the other foot about 2 ft from the wall, and then lean toward the wall while keeping both heels on the floor. This exercise stretches the heel cord of the limb that is farther from the wall. It should be performed with both legs forward for two minutes each, three to five times daily. Each night for 10 to 14 days, you should apply an ice pack to the plantar arch 15 to 20 minutes before going to bed. An alternative approach is to massage the plantar fascia with an ice block (made up of water frozen in a paper cup) for 15 minutes per day for two weeks. And of course try to avoid those activities that worsen the pain, this will allow healing time and will prevent re injuries