Possible ADD or ADHD, need an opinion.

Patient

Q: Overview: I am a 20 year old male, graduated from school when I was 18, and I think I may have ADHD/ADD. About 3 months ago I was diagnosed with depression, and was put on prozac 10 mg daily. I used to have suicidal thoughts very often and cried a lot for no significant reason and felt down most of the time. The prozac has worked for my depression and I no longer feel depressed anymore.
Now I am wondering if I have ADD or ADHD, because I did some research on the symptoms and I seem to have some of them.
Should I ask my doctor for a diagnosis of this?

My symptoms

Recent symptoms:

Almost always feel on edge.
Rarely feel relaxed in my mind.
Feel physically relaxed but not mentally.
My mind races from one thought to another.
Cannot get deeply focused on any one subject.
Get distracted easily from random thoughts when focus is necessary, such as at work.
Frequently stay up late at night because I can't stop thinking, sometimes staying up for 24 hours or more.
Can't focus at work or at any long task, mind drifts away in thoughts.
Keep thinking about my how my day went or what I'll do tomorrow.
Frequently think about how others view me physically.
Sometimes I can get very motivated to do something important but quickly lose focus as my thoughts drift away.
I procrastinate with tasks such as making important phone calls.
Can only concentrate on something I am interested in, rarely able to focus on anything I view as boring.
Often think about music in my head and begin tapping my fingers or feet.

Symptoms I experienced in school (just what I can remember):

I was above average intelligence in school, but was very unmotivated to do anything.
High desire to do drugs such as cigarettes, marijuana, and alcohol.
Sometimes my memory was very good, most of the time bad and foggy mind.
Distracted by my own thoughts very often.
Very self conscious.
Frequently cranky in the morning and skipped off school a lot because I did not want to face it.
Was more artistic and creative than most of my classmates.
Easily tempered/quick to get angry in relationships.
Did not enjoy socializing at all, although I remember that wished that I did.
Felt socially isolated.
Felt alone although I had many people in my life.
Had report cards with notes from teachers saying I could be doing much better and that I wasn't living up to my potential.
Worried what people thought of my physical appearance much too often.
Did not live up to my potential.
Felt really fidgety sometimes although I suppressed much of it, trying to appear relaxed.
Never felt relaxed in my mind.
I was feeling down a lot. (Due to undiagnosed depression)

Feel free to ask questions :).

Symptoms:  (Symptoms above)
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

The cognitive symptoms of depression, many times mimic those of ADD. It's difficult to differentiate both of them. However, if you have a depression, then firstly it needs to be taken care of. If the symptoms persist, only then the stimulants may be advised. Looking at your symptom profile, it seems more of a remnant depression rather than an ADD. If your current medicines are not helping you then you may consider a switch in medicines. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine or Venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical Psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.

You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a Psychologist consult.

Hope this helps.
Wish you a good health