Possible Allergy to Propecia

Patient

Q: In the past two weeks, every day I wake up, my palms/hands have been very itchy. Sometimes the soles of my feet. There is no rash associated with the itch. The only medication I take is Propecia 1 mg daily. I've been on the medication for 10+ years without any noticeable side effects. I did quit the medication for about a month and started again a month-and-a-half ago. Could the Propecia be causing the itchy palms/hands and feet? Could I have developed an allergy to the medication? Or is this something else? I have not changed my diet or the products I use when showering.

Symptoms:  Itchy plams/hands and soles of feet.
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.
As per details, the most likely possibility for your symptoms is a condition of the skin called Urticaria.
It is characterised by red colored itchy transient eruptions over body.
It is of two types :
1.Acute
2.Chronic.
When duration of the disease is more than 6weeks, it is known as Chronic Urticaria.
It is an allergic condition of skin caused by the recent infection, any food, seasonal change, drugs, pollen grains etc.
Usually food and environmental factors are implicated as allergens.
Propecia is unlikely to cause urticaria.
I will advise you to get your following investigations done:
1) Absolute Eosinophil count
2) Thyroid profile
3) IgE levels
In such cases, I prefer to advise combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast to my patients.
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and order tests for you.
You can share my opinion with him.
I hope it helps.
Stay healthy.

Patient: This could still be Urticaria even though there is NO visible rash on the palms/hands or soles of feet?
Doctor: Yes, Urticaria may not sometimes present with lesions.