Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible bladder infection?

Possible bladder infection?

Patient: I’ve been have abdominal pain for the past 48 hours. They feel like really strong menstrual cramps, but I’ve never had them for this long of a period.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Abdominal pain for the last two days are not specific to a bladder infection. Bladder infec tions are usually accompanied by frequent painful and bloody urination, along with abdominal pain usually in the lower abdominal area. This abdominal pain could be due to a gastrointestinal infection or even a condition related to he female reproductive system. We would like to encourage you to go your doctor as soon as you an to be evaluated for these symptoms so that you can be effectively treated. Bladder or GI infections are usually treated with oral antibiotics. However, problems with the reproductive system can be quite varied, each requiring specific evaluation and subsequent treatment. Please seek medical attention.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com