Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible broken finger swollen painful and black and blue.

Possible broken finger swollen painful and black and blue.

Patient: I think I broke my pinky finger, must I see a professional about it

Symptoms: Swelling , bruising, and pain of pinky finger

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.A finger may be injured by a direct blow or cut. The finger may also be jammed, twis ted, or stretched. Although bleeding, bruising, deformity, or swelling of an injured finger may be obvious, significant injuries may be present that are not obvious right away. Some symptoms, such as the redness, pus, and fever of an infection, will not develop for hours to days. Always seek medical care if the following occur:-If there is severe pain or deformity-If there is uncontrolled bleeding-If there is numbness (loss of sensation)-If the finger is pale or bluish in color-If there are exposed bones or tendons.Your Doctor will treat you by immobilising the finger and then giving you painkillers if needed.I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.