Possible Dislocated Knee

Q: Hi there,
my right knee pops out of place frequently and a few days ago this happened. However, after I popped it back into place, it still doesn't feel right. There is an obvious difference between my right and left now (the right kneecap seems to be out further and angled more) and it's been sore since popping it back in. I'm not sure if this is a serious concern, what's happening and if I need to see a doctor. Any information would help!
Thank you!

Symptoms:  My knee is sore, swollen and uncomfortable. Putting too much pressure on it (standing for over 20 minutes) hurts and it feels like my knee will give out. Any running or jumping sends sharp pains through it.

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have an injury to one of the stabilizing ligaments of the knee. The main ones include the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament. Tears of these ligaments can lead to the destabilization of the knee joint resulting in pain, crepitus, and sudden weakness in the knee joint. Based on your description we would like to encourage you to go to your doctor to have your knee examined. You may need to have an MRI of the knee joint to determine if any of the ligaments are torn. Treatment will depend on the severity of the injury and in the most severe cases, surgical repair may be necessary.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com