Possible Ear Infection

Q: I have had bilateral earache, post nasal drip, upper body aches and a sore throat (I think swollen tonsils) for approximately 5 days. Two months ago I was told I had a skin staph infection on my face which is resistant to penicillin and had to be surgically opened. I am concerned they may be releated and I am not sure if I should see a doctor or wait it out?

A:   I understand your concern about your symptoms. According to your symptoms it looks like you have caught an upper respiratory infection possibly due to a Virus like Flu or a Cold which is the most common cause, or Bacterial.A complication of these could be infections of the ear due to the communication between the respiratory tract and the ears known as Eustachian tubes. Mucus trapped in this tube could get infected and produce symptoms like ear ache or hearing problems, Fever which might need to be rapidly treated to prevent hearing loss.I would suggest you to consult your physician for a more detailed evaluation, since you have a history of Staph infection it would be better to prevent any process that could complicate later on. Watch for signs of fever, purulent mucus, increased pain in the ears, keep drinking plenty of fluids and taking your antihistamines. I wish you a prompt recovery.