Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible extensor tendinitis after wearing high heels

Possible extensor tendinitis after wearing high heels

Patient: In the summer of 2009, I rolled my ankle on concrete and ended up with a foot injury which kept me off it for 2 days and in pain for a month to month and a half afterward. Recently, I’ve developed a pain in the top of my foot which runs along the line of my big toe toward my ankle and peaks above my instep. I wore heels the day before the pain started, but I felt no pain while wearing them. I haven’t worn them since, but the pain persists. Could I have aggravated my old injury or is there another explanation?

Doctor: Possibly you are experiencing an Extensor tendinitis in your foot, which is not likely to be, related with the old injur y two years ago, that according to your description healed after one and a half month, this might be a new injury associated or not to the high heels. Amongst the possible causes of extensor tendinitis are: overuse, badly fitting shoes or changes in training (if you are a runner).The suggested strategy in your case should be: try to rest the foot, begin stretching the muscles of the leg and foot, you can use ice packs after the exercise routine to decrease inflammation and/or pain (if there is any), avoid activities that reproduce the pain, use of anti-inflammatory medication (example: “Advil”) and get shoes that fir properly.  If after following all these measures you have poor or no improvement I strongly recommend you an evaluation by a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon to determine the cause of the pain.