Possible herniated disc- MRI needed?

Patient

Q: Last Thursday I hurt my back doing squats in the gym. I hurt it about 6 months ago doing the same thing and went to the chiropractor and he said that I would need to rest and stretch. So when I hurt it on Thursday afternoon, I started in on my stretches. Sunday night into Monday the pain was so bad in my lower back and down my right leg. I could barely get around Monday morning. So I went to see my family doctor that morning. He suggested an MRI to check for herniated disc and prescribed naproxen, muscle relaxer, and hydrocodone. I thought I would be getting the MRI that day, but he didn't get the chart over to the imaging place until that afternoon so it was Tuesday before an appointment was made. By then, the pain had eased up greatly and I was able to move around better. I did take muscle relaxer and pain meds on Monday and into Monday night, but then only took naproxen on Tuesday. The MRI is going to cost $500 and I'm scared to have it done now because the pain has eased up and I'm not sure if the herniated disc would show now. My family doctor is off on Wednesdays, so I'm unable to ask him. I still need to take pain med and muscle relaxer to try to sleep at night. It's tough to find any relief at night. I still have pain down my leg- but it's not horrible. It almost feels like my leg is about ready to go to sleep. Most of the pain now is in my right glute. I'm not familiar with back injuries at all. If my disc was herniated on Monday but has moved back into place, will that show up on an MRI or should I wait until I have another flare up? I am a very active person, but want to make sure I take correct healing measures before I start back into my exercise routine.

Symptoms:  Lower back pain. Pain down right leg into foot and in right glute right at lower back. Sitting is uncomfortable. Sleeping is nearly impossible. Walking provides some relief.
Doctor