Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Possible Hypersensitive? Overactive Immune System?

Possible Hypersensitive? Overactive Immune System?

Patient: Recently, I have been given a full blood panel by my gynecologist; and the only thing they have told me is that my testosterone is basically “the highest it can be without being ‘abnormally high’, but that if [I] was not taking birth control, it would be higher.However, lately, after I do anything (work with pliers on jewelry, go bowling, sit on a hard chair) that seems to put pressure on, or increase the use of a specific part of my body…that part of my body seems to swell up. If I sit on a hard surface (especially for a prolonged period of time), a few hours later, I have golf ball to egg sized knots that ache. The same thing happens on my arms, legs, anywhere something seems to put pressure. When I use pliers, go bowling, etc, wherever the objects touched or put pressure on my hands/palms, that area swells (sometimes to the point I cannot bend the fingers) becomes bright red and hurts like they are in a vise.Also, notable, but possibly unrelated; on a regular basis, I am told how my face/neck/arms/etc look bright red, like I have a sunburn or rash; and while my temperature seems to read normally, I radiate so much heat, that people say it feels like they are burning themselves by touching me.My best friend is in medical school, and mentioned the possibility of a ‘type IV immune response’; but I am unsure what to do with that information…Also, I recently had a physical and negative tb test. I don’t know what else would be relevant.




Symptoms: Redness, Swelling (up to egg sized), Soreness, Extreme body heat (but not inner-temperature, according to an ear thermometer)

Doctor: Swelling on pressure is definitly a hyperimmune reaction. Usually it is associated with discomfort, but rarely pain is s een. As your friend indicated, mostly it fits to type IV hyperimmune reaction. It is kind of delayed allergic reaction, though there wont be any allergen associated. Further detailed blood investigation of immunoglobulins and other tests will help to diagnose the condition. Consult a hematologist at the earliest as the condition is recurrent and moreover associated with pain.


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts