Possible Knee bursitis

Q: I am suffering from awfull pain with my left knee, 4 years ago i dislocated my knee tearing something and keep getting trouble. On friday i had a lump i could feel on the right side of my knee at the front by the knee cap, i bent and flexed my knee that then moved this but tightened the back of my knee and the two parts on the egde felt really fragile i havent beeable to walk comfortably for the last 4 days i am now experincing horrific pain on the outter left hand side of my knee a lump that is in the way of me being able to straighten my leg propperly. every time i move there is a shooting pain that goes down my calf with a constant throb making me feel it is going to dislocate at any point. i hav tried heat patches, pain killers and with my knee at hip level on a pillow at night but nothing is working and it keeps getting worse as it is constant. please help. kind regards.

A:    Most likely your description sounds like you may have a liquid collection in your prepatellar bursa produced maybe by previous traumatism. The prepatellar bursa is a superficial bursa with a thin synovial lining located between the skin and the patella. Normally, it does not communicate with the joint space and contains a minimal amount of fluid; however, inflammation of the prepatellar bursa results in marked increase of fluid within its space. The recommended treatment would be: relative rest, avoid kneeling or additional stress on the knee, you can take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Advil”),  then physical therapy  to control pain and swelling , mobilizations to regain any loss of Range Of Motion, exercises to increase  the flexibility and strength  of the quadriceps and hamstrings.