Possible knee ligament damage

Patient

Q: About 16 weeks ago i had a bad fall and landed on the inside of my knee quiet hard, at the time i iced it a rested it for a week, for the first 2 weeks i was only able to bend it a couple of centimtres and put very little pressure on it: 4-5 weeks before i could put full pressure and bend a staighten my knee fully: about 9 weeks before i could squat with all my wait with mimimal pain, it has now been 16 weeks and my knee gets painful and stiff if i keep it still for a while and it is extremly painful if my lower leg gets bumped even slightly to the outside, i am wearing a knee brace and have been given antiiflammertys,i have also had an xray but the doctor thinks that i dont need and MRI because my knee has improved

do you think that i could have torn the mcl ligament and need an MRI?? or should i just get physio??
what else can i do to help it??

Doctor