Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible lower back strain

Possible lower back strain

Patient: I have dull lower back pain for a week. I can also feel it in my butt and back of thighs at times. Does this sound like a strain to you? I dont remember exactly when I injured it.

Doctor: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Here some useful measures: keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time.