Possible Mis-Diagnosed UTI - Foul-Smelling Urine

Q: I have embarrassing, foul-smelling urine, even when my urine is clear from drinking fluids. Other people close to me have commented on how bad it smells. I am desperate to have this go away. This started sometime in the last 10 years and I haven't been able to get it to go away, no matter how many doctors and specialists I see. I definitely remember a time when I did not have this problem. I have suffered from chronic UTI's, but most of them were not discovered from the initial "dip" in the office; they had to be sent off to "grow" and then confirmed. I usually do not experience symptoms of a UTI. I have gone through every course of treatment and test to discover the cause of this chronic condition, to no avail. I have been on all sorts of anti-biotics (short-term and long-term regimens...as long as 6 months). Usually the urine smell goes away while I'm on them but returns very quickly after I stop. I have had two different procedures where they look into my bladder and urinary tract with a scope (one in an office recently and one prolonged one in a hospital a few years ago). I have had an MRI where they inject dye to look for abnormalities. None of these procedures returned anything abnormal. I just had a check-up in the last few weeks and they confirmed that I did NOT have a UTI, although my urine still smells horribly. I am vigilant about taking care of my urinary tract. I don't drink caffeine, I empty my bladder all the way after peeing, I wash and pee after sex, and I only wear cotton underwear. I am an otherwise healthy, normal weight 27-year-old female with no other chronic conditions or concerns. I am desperate to find a reason for this urine odor.

A:   I do understant your concern, it is difficult for me to say what is causing your symptoms. According to what you have written, we can rule out UTI, PID, structural anomalies as the cause of the foul smelling urine. Maybe you need to consider your diet or vitamin/supplements that you may be taking. The problem sometimes can be due to imbalances in your diet or certain supplements that you may be taking. You may try altering your diet and avoiding any vitamin/supplements to see if it helps.