Possible miscarriage.

Q: I had a pregnancy scare withMy boyfriend. I had been spotting brown and had alot of dark brown discharge. I thought it may have been because I was on and off the pill for a while.
I took a test after a few weeks and it came back negative but the next two days I has very severe pain and cramping and that night I passed what looked like a liver with a thin clear lining on top and a pink colored membrane attatched. I thought I had miscarried because immediately I had no more pain I was no longer hormonal and I had never passed a solid red object before. I got blood tests 24 hours later and they came back negative for hcg but I'm positive I had miscarried. Is it possible to have
Had an early miscarriage and the hcg levels go back down before I had the tests? Or if it was a delayed miscarriage could that explain the negative results?
Is it possible to have an early miscarriage and hcg levels go down before the tests were done?