Possible Miscarriage at 5 weeks of Pregnancy

Patient

Q: I am 5 weeks pregnant and started bleeding light pink staining on monday then brown staining for then next day then fresh red blood. i had scan yesterday and they told me i would have to come back in 10 days as it was too early to tell. the bleeding has stopped today and throughout i have had to pain at all. is this normal if i am having a miscarriage?

Doctor

A:   Bleeding during early pregnancy may be due to miscarriage and I do understand your concern. Many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant. Most miscarriages occur before the 12th week of pregnancy. Though bleeding is sometimes seen with pregnancy, it is not common for the bleeding to continue for a longer period of time. would suggest first to consult your Gynecologist to rule out miscarriage. Your doctor may repeat the beta HCG test to see if the levels are rising. A decrease in the level of beta HCG may require an ultrasound to rule out a miscarriage.