Possible Multiple Myeloma to be ruled out

Patient

Q: Some in my family had MRI and found that he have Myeloma but the blood test was normal. Now he has to go for Bone scan Test. Does that mean he has Myeloma.

Doctor

A:    In order to diagnose Multiple Myeloma, a series of blood and urine tests as well imaging tests (X-rays, CT, PET-CT, MRI) are done and  the results are correlated with the symptoms. The presence of monoclonal proteins in blood (M-proteins) or Bence-Jones protein in urine along with a positive bone marrow biopsy and imaging tests that show lytic lesions or weakened bone areas, are elements that confirm the diagnosis of Multiple Myeloma, as you see just one test is not enough to rule out or confirm the diagnosis.
.