x
182 Physicians Online

Question:

Possible Multiple Myeloma to be ruled out

Some in my family had MRI and found that he have Myeloma but the blood test was normal. Now he has to go for Bone scan Test. Does that mean he has Myeloma.

Answer:

In order to diagnose Multiple Myeloma, a series of blood and urine tests as well imaging tests (X-rays, CT, PET-CT, MRI) are done and  the results are correlated with the symptoms. The presence of monoclonal proteins in blood (M-proteins) or Bence-Jones protein in urine along with a positive bone marrow biopsy and imaging tests that show lytic lesions or weakened bone areas, are elements that confirm the diagnosis of Multiple Myeloma, as you see just one test is not enough to rule out or confirm the diagnosis.
.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA