Possible overuse injury in a golf player

Patient

Q: I'm a right handed man. After playing golf the next day I had pain on my left hand from the forarm to the hand. Is this cause from the swing?

Doctor

A:    The repetitive and/or wrong use of the elbow, forearms and hand muscles may produce microtears in the tendons, inflammation and pain , the most common of these kind of injuries is called:  Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer’s elbow) , but by the same mechanism other injuries like this one may occur in other places: shoulder, forearm, hand. The healing time is different for each patient, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury. The suggested strategy in your case should be: definitely review and correct the way you are swinging, stretch the muscles of the arms and hands before your golf practice, you can use ice packs after the practice to decrease inflammation and/or pain, try avoiding activities that reproduce the pain and finally, you could benefit using anti inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”).