Possible overuse injury in a teenager Pitcher

Patient

Q: Hi im a 16 year old pitcher and my right arm right below my elbo iits swore two weeks after oitching i have iced rested ran all things known to me and my coachs i have a huge game next week and need to know how i can fix it

Doctor

A:    The repetitive use of the elbow muscles can produce microtears in the tendons, inflammation and pain and is called: Epicondylitis. In United States is one of the most common causes of elbow pain. Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. The healing time is different for each patient, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury. In the majority of cases may take 4-6 weeks to heal, so please be patient and these are some measures that you can do in the meantime: Ice the area twice a day for 20 minutes to help to decrease inflammation and relieve pain. Freezing water in a paper cup and tearing away the top rim as the ice melts is an easy way to use ice. Do not put ice directly on the skin. Wrap it in a towel. Rest the sore area to prevent further injury and decrease pain. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Motrin, or Aleve may help decrease the pain and help the healing. If with these measures the pain and swelling do not improve I strongly recommend that you get a re-assessment by an orthopedic Doctor.