Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible patella subluxation with meniscus lesion in a 69 years old man

Possible patella subluxation with meniscus lesion in a 69 years old man

Patient: I am 69 years old healthy individual.I am a merchant mariner.Lately I have problem with my left knee.Every so often it pops out of its socket with a slight wrong movement.It is very painful until it clicks back in place.Also I can not move about until it is back in place.Please give me the cause of this and what is the treatment so it does not happen any more.

Doctor: The traumatic patellar dislocations affect mainly adolescents and young adults. Research studies show that up to 44% of patients will develop recurrent dislocation. In your case given the multiple times that you had dislocations it is important to consider the surgical correction to stabilize the patella and avoid the risk of osteoarthritis secondary to repeated articular injury  and allow the normal development of the patellofemoral joint. Then, I advise you to get an assessment by an orthopedic surgeon also to rule out a possible meniscus injury.