Possible post traumatic Plantar Fasciitis

Patient

Q: I got kicked on the inside of my foot playing football in July 2010. I've attached image of the bruising. It still hurts to walk on despite being told there were no broken bones (without having an xray) and it should heal within 6 months. What should I do?

Doctor

A:   Most likely due to the trauma that you described, the plantar fascia was injured (the bruise in your photo seems to correspond with theupper part of the  fibrous layer that supports the plantar arch muscles and ligaments or Plantar Fascia) and you are experiencing a Post Traumatic Plantar Fasciitis .Keep in mind that the healing time is different for each patient, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury and the treatment received.  The suggested strategy to treat conservatively plantar fasciitis would be: physical therapy aimed to stretch the muscles of the calf and foot, using ice packs after the exercise routine to decrease inflammation and pain, relative rest (avoiding activities that reproduce the pain), use of anti inflammatory medication (example: “Advil”) and replacement of worn-out shoes by adequately cushioned shoes. For cases that do not respond to the conservative treatment, the corticosteroid injection on the site may be considered and if still there is no significant improvement, I strongly recommend you a consultation with a Orthopedic Surgeon that evaluates your case.