Possible post traumatic scar in the leg muscle

Q: I have an indention, approx 2-2.5" horizontally and about two thirds up the Tibialis Anterior muscle. I "crushed" it about 2 years ago while standing on a chair and it collapsed with my leg inside. Immediately, I had this large indention on my leg I assumed would go away in a few minutes but when it didnt I rubbed it and noticed the muscle was no longer one whole piece. It was a little sore for the first few days but no real pain since. The indention is still there. I can even move the muscle above the tear around as if it is no longer attached. It has not caused any problem but worry that it may one day. What do you think?

A:   The indentation that you described is possibly due to a scar tissue in the muscle produced as a body response to repair the damaged muscle after the trauma or muscle contusion. Contusions are second only to strains as a leading cause of sports injuries. Most contusions are minor and heal quickly, but, severe contusions can cause deep tissue damage and can lead to complications. Contusions occur when a direct blow or repeated blows from a blunt object strike part of the body, crushing underlying muscle fibers and connective tissue without breaking the skin. A contusion can result from falling or jamming the body against a hard surface. Sometimes a pool of blood collects within damaged tissue, forming a lump over the injury (hematoma).In severe cases, swelling and bleeding beneath the skin may cause shock. If tissue damage is extensive, you may also have a fractured bone, dislocated joint, sprain, torn muscle, or other injuries. Contusions cause swelling and pain and limit joint range of motion near the injury. Torn blood vessels may cause bluish discoloration. The injured muscle may feel weak and stiff. I recommend at these times that if it is not causing any pain or limitation leave it alone but if you start to feel pain or other symptoms in the future, try to keep the muscle in a gentle stretch position, and consult a specialist.