Possible Rheumatic Fever following Strep Throat

Patient

Q: 12 days ago my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with the strep virus (in her throat and ear) and scarlet fever. she had no fever, no sore throat and no ear aches, only the rash. she took a 10 day round of antibiotics. the day after finishing the meds she started a new rash that looked like circular flat hives. her strep test again came back positive. within a few hours her knees and ankles hurt so bad she refused to walk, her "hives" were starting to bruise and she was running a 103 degree fever. she is taking a 10 day round of cefdinir. is it possible that she has rheumatic fever?

Doctor

A:   Your daughter’s symptoms including circular hives, swollen painful joints, high fever, recurrent positive strep throat, all suggest the possibility of rheumatic fever. Continuation of the antibiotics along with anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, naproxen or corticosteroids may reduce inflammation to help manage this condition. Long term antibiotic prophylaxis may also be required to prevent the recurrence of rheumatic fever and its complications.