Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Possible shoulder subluxation several times

Possible shoulder subluxation several times

Patient: Dear Doctor, I am 25 years old now, 4-6 years back i used to lift weights (bodybuilding) and while doing lateral raise for deltoids i felt severe pain and my hand fell down dead. After a few seconds i regained the strength but i couldn’t lift another rep. now whenever i move my arm my shoulder creates an unusual sound and i have to lift it up and like put it in its place. my arm is working perfectly well but cant lift weights and the noises from the delts. Kindly help. Regards John

Doctor: Possibly at that time, years ago, you had a Subluxation of the shoulder, the head of the humerus did not go completely o ut of the joint socket and you made it to go back in. I would advise you to be careful with your shoulder in the future, because repeated subluxations or luxations of the shoulder deteriorate the capsule and ligaments of the joint, causing chronic pain and instability that may be end up in having an operation to correct recurrent shoulder dislocations. Actually, there are many studies that have shown the increased likelihood of traumatic shoulder arthritis in patients with multiple shoulder dislocations. The operation may consist of either open or arthroscopic treatment of the cause of instability, and of course a Rehabilitation program after surgery to control pain, limitation and regain full function. So, for now try to avoid movements and activities that can potentially cause dislocation and work out to strengthen the muscles of your shoulders.