Possible strain of hamstring and calf tendons due to overuse

Patient

Q: Hello! I have a pain in back side of the knee (behind knee) and i have had it about 4 months. I visited a doctor and he said that he think its hamstring tendon inflammation and gave me pills and said i should rest about 2 weeks. I have rested for 3 months for now and i still feel pain, but its much better now. I play football and i am tired to wait when the pain is gone, i thought maybe there is something else wrong in this area. The pain is back side of the knee like i said and it radiates to my calf area and sometimes it radiates to other places in the knee too. In places its painful to slide my leg toward when i lie down on the ground or sit. Sometimes when i do nothing i just feel this annoying pain that radiates to my calf or side of the knee. It started in autumn when i trained too much and i had league games, but i did not turn any attention to the pain. But after one game i started to feel this pain, and at the beginning it was very irritated to every movement i did. So after that i gave some rest to my leg. I rested 3 weeks and then i played again, then i rested again about 3 months and now i started to play again, and i feel again little bit this pain so this makes me unhappy. Especially i feel it when i just sit in front of my computer or watch TV or something like that.

Doctor

A:    Most likely you are experiencing a muscle sprain which involves the tearing or stretching of the muscles and/or ligaments beyond their normal capacity, specifically the Hamstring muscles located in their lower insertion close to the back of the knee. Symptoms of muscle injury obviously involve pain, however it is not uncommon for the affected area to swell, redden and become bruised or discolored. All symptoms of muscle injury can range from mild to severe. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. A common cause for this nowadays is the Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs), these are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury.The conservative treatment consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks must be followed and practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different. Avoid overuse and try to do an appropriate warming-up and stretching before significant physical activity.